The President-elect, Muhammadu Buhari, has said he does not know if the kidnapped Chibok girls can be rescued because their whereabouts is still unknown.
He, however, promised that his government would rescue them if they were still alive.
Buhari said this in a statement to mark the first year anniversary of the kidnap of 276 schoolgirls from Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State by the extremist Islamic sect, Boko Haram on April 14, last year.
In the statement which he personally signed on Monday, Buhari said, “As we remember the kidnap of the girls, it is time to reflect on the pain and suffering of the victims, their friends and families on account of the heinous crime.”
The President-elect assured Nigerians, particularly the parents of the missing girls, that when his administration “assumes office at the end of May, it will do everything it can to defeat Boko Haram.”
According to him, his administration will act differently from the government it is succeeding adding that, he will not only listen to the cry of anguish of citizens, he will also respond accordingly.
Buhari said, “This new approach must also begin with honesty. We do not know if the Chibok girls can be rescued. Their whereabouts remain unknown.
“As much as I wish to, I cannot promise that we can find them. But I say to every parent, family member and friend of the children that my government will do everything in our power to bring them home.
“What I can pledge, with absolute certainty, is that starting on the first day of my administration, Boko Haram will know the strength of our collective will and commitment to rid this nation of terror and bring back peace and normalcy to all the affected areas.”