FG rushes immigration recuitment to beat handover

NISA clique in the Presidency is  behind the hasty recruitment  into the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) ahead of next month’s change of government in Abuja, The Nation can  now reveal.

The computer-based aptitude test has been scheduled for Monday, April 20  to Friday, April 25 at designated centres across the country, according to information posted on the website: http://nis.fedcivilservice.gov.ng.

It is supposed to replace the March 15, 2014 ill fated recruitment by the NIS, which claimed the lives of 15 applicants.

It was gathered yesterday  that  the planned recruitment is one of the several last-minute projects being executed by Presidency and federal government officials  for the purpose of  packing   their cronies and kinsmen in  strategic positions, thereby  loading  up the system  and  creating  crisis for the incoming government.

It is also alleged that invitation for  the aptitude test  tilts  heavily in  favour of a section of the country at the expense of other geo-political zones.

For instance, as many as 4,800 applicants are expected to sit for the aptitude test in some centres as against  about 130 in some others.

A source familiar with the development pointed an accusing finger at a top Presidency official for the apparent favouritism.

President Goodluck Jonathan, in an attempt to redeem  the image of his government which was severely  battered by the March 2014 recruitment death harvest, had ordered  a fresh recruitment  by a  presidential committee.

The panel headed by the Chairman, Federal Civil Service Commission, also comprised the Permanent Secretary, General Services Office (OSGF), who doubled as Secretary, Comptroller-General, Nigeria Immigration Service; Representative of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation; Representative of the Commandant-General, NSCDC; Representative of Controller General, Nigeria Prisons Service; Representative of the Corp Marshal, FRSC; Representative of the Director-General, DSS; Representative of the Attorney General of the Federation and Representative of the Federal Character Commission.

It was charged with the responsibility of  re-advertising the recruitment into the NIS with a view to starting the recruitment process afresh; processing the applications, shortlisting potential candidates and conducting the necessary interviews for the purpose of the recruitment exercise, among others.

However, it was gathered that the Presidential official has since hijacked the functions of the committee  to ensure that his kinsmen are the major beneficiaries of the recruitment.

The Comptroller of Immigration, Mr.David Parradang, is said to have been sidelined in the process just as he was in last year’s ill fated exercise

Recruitment will be in three categories: superintendent, inspectorate and immigration assistance cadres.

Federal government’s pledge of  assistance for the families of those who lost their lives during last year’s aborted recruitment was not fulfilled until last month, a year after the tragedy, when President Jonathan handed out money and appointment letters to the beneficiaries.

Each bereaved family got  N5 million in addition  to employment letters for three members  of each family.

President Jonathan said at the presentation that Nigeria  would never witness such tragedy again.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s