FEARS that President Goodluck Jonathan may lose the election originally billed for Saturday informed the postponement of the polls by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Sokoto State Governor Aliyu Wamakko said yesterday.
According to him, the decision was uncalled for but it has confirmed the fears of defeat by candidates of the ruling PDP.
“The move is simply to avert defeat and humiliation. The decision was unnecessary. The PDP (Peoples Democratic Party) is scared of losing the elections to the APC (All Progressives Congress),” the governor said.
Wamakko suggested that the Federal Government’s concern should be on how to regain the territories lost to insurgents in the Northeast rather than using the military to intimidate the citizens from participating in the democratic process.
His words: “If the Federal Government wants to show military power, let them go and show force in Borno and Adamawa states by regaining our territories that had been taken away by terrorists.”
The governor told reporters in Sokoto that the election was postponed because President Jonathan was scared of losing the presidential polls. “He (President) now sees the APC as a real threat to his re-election bid.
“He noted with passion the wide acceptance of APC by Nigerians, pointing out that it was a source of worry to him (Jonathan), hence postponement.
“There was no way Nigeria could continue this way with the level of corruption, impunity, disregard for law and order and lack of direction under the Jonathan’s administration.
“When we discovered that Jonathan has no focus and was not ready to listen, we formed our alliance in the interest of this country. Today our effort has already yielded result and the alliance is working, as we now have two strong major political parties that we need for growth in this country.
“Jonathan is afraid of losing this election. They have seen the wide acceptance of APC across the country and instead of them to accept the glaring realities; they are trying to play games with Nigerians. I am sure the international community will not allow them to do that and Nigerians are wiser now than 15 years ago.”
The governor also condemned the massive deployment of soldiers in Sokoto and some cities by the Federal Government shortly after the postponement of the elections, saying such measure was uncalled for.
He berated siege by security operatives on the residence of APC’s National Leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and some APC members, saying Nigerians will not be intimidated by the millitary.
“You cannot intimidate citizens with soldiers or policemen. Nigerians can never be intimidated by using soldiers or power of incumbency, especially a weak incumbency, that has no direction,” he said.
Recalling the decision reached at the latest National Council of State meeting in Abuja, the governor said: “In the last National Council of State meeting, there was a suggestion that the millitary should be deployed to each headquarters of a local government area. This is in the event of any riot as a result of postponement of elections in which case they have made up their mind to change the date.”